Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Cats Night Out





   We got an old cat. I just gave her two buds of catnip, big white ones I grew in a basket thing hanging out of a tree so the local cat hustlers can't get it.
They can smell it though.
  It's cat torture,
The new dog checks the spot through the window all day
 has her giant brown eyes on the spot
 everywhere she ever saw a cat since we got her she still looks over, new ones every day go on the list for tomorrow
               Louise the cat was walking sideways on the bed with the shit in her mouth, drooling and cross eyed then collapsed and rolled off ,charged the dog, then ran out the cat hole in the screen door.
Into the wilds of Oregon
     You can grow all kinds of good shit up here, we got a garden full right now of lemon cucumbers and cherry tomatoes with an eggplant coming up fast.
 and flowers,
 two apple trees,no one can eat all the apples they grow, or even pick them all up, they're everywhere.
      I watch where I walk on the big side yard, you step on one and it's just like the three stooges roller skate bit, up you go.
there's lots of them out there, like land mines in Cambodia
Last year there were too many for my little brother to park his motorcycle out there. He couldn't put his feet down.
He was pissed off, yelled at me why I didn't pick the goddam things up
I don't have too, that's why
It's my yard
We rake them up and on the compost pile they go at the end of fall
   
My brother in law is here, he's moving back to Amerika from Brazil and he's coming here, buying a place close by, We'd be hurting more than we are already without him,
I would have had to go to a "managed care facility" until I could take the neck brace off, .
He holds my head still when I take  off the thing to shave

 my life is right there in his hands, he freezes and I stare into my own eyes in a little mirror.
   Don't move
turn just  a little to the left hurts like hell, just looking sidelong right with my eyes hurts just as much


  There is a 700 year old Douglas fir tree at the top of our driveway
The house was built in 1900, out of Doug Fir just like it, like you can't buy new anymore, someone has to tear an old house like ours down and recycle, in the basement there's beams and posts as big around as telephone poles, railroad ties
   Eight bats in the attic, I go out about now and watch them come out,one at a time, like they're being thrown out by a pitcher with a bad ass knuckleball
a neighbor told me about bats
they eat 3 or 5 times their weight in bugs on a good night night
       I go watch them come back in at dawn. They found a joint that seperated between the two long facia,at the peak, right where they're supposed to meet they dont
and that's the gate
there's a crack,  a slit about one and a half inches wide by 4 inches vertical
  The dog goes nuts in the morning, she moans at me, what the fuck are you waiting for lets fucking GO, but I like to see them go in.
Elegant little bastards
 I like it here.
I'm staying

1 comment:

  1. The place sounds swell, even though it may eat up a lot in maintenance. You can't put a price on 700 year old trees. Fir or oak. They have presence.

    And thank Christ for the brothers-in-law from Brazil. I don't like the sound of that care facility.

    One of the things I couldn't abide about the Psych Ward I discharged myself from was the fact that there were locks outside of the door on every little room, but no corresponding snib on the inside. Even the bathroom. No matter how you rationalize it, it all adds up to one thing only.

    You had to sign a safety razor in and out each time you shaved. Beards were very nearly ubiquitous, although there were some who walked around permanently clean-shaven.

    I don't know. Maybe if I'd stayed in there long enough I might have "earned" the privilege.

    That thing with the bats. This post and the other. I like it immensely, the thought of throwing in "your lot" with them. I got bats and belfries on the brain.

    And you're right. They are elegant.

    ReplyDelete