Sunday, August 24, 2014

A Great Dance Band



I really like stripped down,clean soulful music, you know Patti Smith,Lou Reed
and
 I love the way some of the most powerful rock and rollers put their music together,
Steely Dan(pre asia) The Rolling Stones(pre Goats Head Soup)
The  Beatles are in a class with Elvis Presley and Muddy and the Wolf and Gary Davis, Too much cool for me to even deign to try to write about, at least right now

Ray Charles stands alone
and
Lowell George can stand right next to him

 The way Deadheads,of which I am one so I can talk about them,followed the Dead around, I followed Little Feat, up and down New England on tour, twice
I knew people so I got in and had decent seats

Feat is still working, and they are still really really good
but
They were just too fucking much back then, and that was Lowell
I went west in 78 and I never saw them again, Lowell died in the early summer of 1979
I was pursuing a career change in Humboldt County and got news slow, we were way the fuck out there
I got an old SF Chronicle in August and there it was
Heart Attack
I cried all day and I might again right now.
In 99
I got my hands on some old concert recordings from off the radio,WBCN at Pauls Mall and a few others
Yesterday, I was rooting around in some old CD'S I got still, from way back
There they were
I played Tower of Power first and got loose
I put The Feat in and shit, I was boogying all over the bedroom, broken neck be fucked
What a great fucking band
Sure feels good to dance again
It didn't hurt,either
But it does now, maybe I'll try it again
Yeah.

2 comments:

  1. You know. You may just be the only other person I know who has a fondness for Steely Dan, pre "Aja" or otherwise.

    I just popped the ringpull on a tin of Carsberg, and I'm pacing about trying to find a lighter. I don't like to smoke too close to the PC. The last one died on me when the motherboard took a seizure.

    "Any Major Dude" rattling in my skull. That piece you wrote with "music in a can". I liked that a whole lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Steely Dan of then was a band. After, they were a synthesizer.

    ReplyDelete